Originally aired on 02-08-18
In this program Dr. Anderson will discuss both the known information around the mind-body connection in people who have chronic illness as well as his own experiences with this area of medicine. He will discuss the support for the mind-body connection from the scientific literature as well as the various forms this can take. He will share clinical examples and helpful tips people with chronic disease (and their loved ones) can use.
- Other ideas:
o Your “Self-talk”
o How you deal with ‘stress’?
o Who is around you?
o What messages do you let in?
- Meditation: This simple practice has been around for thousands of years.
o For those who may believe their spiritual tradition opposes meditation – even the famous Theologian Martin Luther (helped get the Protestant religion off the ground) had this as the base of his practice: Oratio, meditatio, tentatio” (prayer, meditation, trial).
- Deep breathing: This part of meditation also works on its own. Just take a deep breath in from your diaphragm, hold it for a few seconds, and then slowly let it out.
- Progressive muscle relaxation: This technique relaxes your entire body, one muscle group at a time.
- Graded, progressive movement activity.
- Guided imagery and visualization: Use them to harness the power of your imagination. Focus on a pleasant scene to steer your mind away from stressful thoughts related to your cancer or your treatments. You can create your own image, use a CD or video to guide you, or work with a therapist.
- Yoga, Pilates and tai chi:
- Some great YouTube Videos:
o How to grow new brain cells: https://youtu.be/B_tjKYvEziI
o Is there scientific proof we can heal ourselves? https://youtu.be/LWQfe__fNbs
o Overcoming neural predispositions to suffering: https://youtu.be/KZIGekgoaz4
Listen to the episode here!
Originally aired, and hosted on Contact Talk Radio,
by Dr. Paul Anderson every week!
To consult Dr A about a case, please fill out the form at the Contact Portal.
For patient questions and concerns, refer to the clinic, Advanced Medical Therapies.